Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Crab Cooker






I am primarily a studio watercolorist. To begin my process, I spend a lot of time with a camera to capture images to work from. Sometimes a photo I have taken stimulates me, or I have a concept and search for the subject matter.

I begin composing the actual piece with a series of quick sketches to work out the elements and composition. Later, I create a more finished final sketch, and I begin thinking about colors and contrast of light and dark. Once I am happy with the final sketch, I execute a final pencil drawing the actual size of the finished painting.

I then transfer the final drawing to watercolor paper. Because I work in transparent watercolor, I must first save any areas that will remain white. I also mask some areas of the painting to be able to work quickly using a wet-on-wet technique. Next I begin painting the details of the piece, working from light to dark. In the final stages, I punch up some of the colors and darken other areas to add contrast and life to the piece.

While in our 20s, my wife Donna and I lived within walking distance of the Crab Cooker in Newport Beach, and someone actually stole this blue Volkswagen while she was at the beach.

No comments: